Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Why not Uncover what We need to Know?

When I was growing up..

I remember the grown-ups would hide everything "negative" from us children. Well why not uncover what we need to know? The point that I am trying to arrive at is; if you are a parent, keeping certain things a secret is a positive action to act upon where as on the other hand if you leave out the important topics I guarantee the out come won't be what you were expecting. Our generation needs to be more aware of certain situations such as sex because, well I know in my case I was a very young girl when I learned about sex and sexual diseases. With that being said I think that my parents were the reason why I waited until I was 18 to encounter any type of sexual involvement. I personally think it is best to be the one who speaks to your child about sex instead of their friends or sex-ed. Not only do girls need to know when is the proper time to conceive a child, they also need to know about birth control and condoms.


I myself am not a parent so I can't speak for how they feel about speaking to their child about sex but, what I can do is tell you is; if you don't tell them everything then there is a good chance that they will find it out on their own and you will have to deal with it then. I will end this post with this; if your uncomfortable with talking about sex with your child you should always remember that you are the one they will be coming to for answers their entire life. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the same should be applied when dealing with discussions with your children about drugs and alcohol. I have two teenagers, and we discussed these things with them very early and bought an age appropriate book to help them with anything they needed to know about sex and their bodies. Kids are interested in their bodies very young, and curious as to how things work and why they have them...we have found that by having those early (bits at a time based on the questions and age) discussions, our children still have that open line of communication with us about what some of their peers are going thru and what they see in their own lives. I am also proud to say that both are still waiting for marriage or "the right one" to experience a sexual relationship with and both are in the ninth and tenth grade. Great topic, I also recommend discussing the sexual diseases, emotional and social aspects of sex as well, sex is a very powerful tool and they should know this.